Is there mould in my home?
Health Canada considers indoor mould growth to be a health hazard. Some people are more susceptible than others to mould. Infants, children, the elderly and those with existing health problems such as breathing difficulties are more at risk.
People sensitive to mould are more likely to have:
- eye, nose and throat irritation
- coughing and phlegm build-up
- shortness of breath
- worsening of asthma symptoms
Mould growth can be sneaky and can hide behind walls, floors or above ceiling tiles. It is important to check for the presence of mould anywhere that is damp or humid in your home on a regular basis. If you have experienced water damage in your home, you need to continue to check for mould!
Here are some of the most common places to find mould:
- Crawl Spaces
- (HVAC) Heating and Air System
- Doors and Windows
- Behind Ceiling Tiles
- Under Carpets
Signs of mould can be staining or discolouration on floors, walls, windows, ceiling tiles, fabrics and carpets. Look for obvious signs of leaks, moisture, or a musty odour. Mould will begin to grow within in 48 hours, so immediate attention is key. If there is visible mould and your uncertain how to remove it safely, call us!