COMING SOON: Canadian flood season
Did you know flooding is the most frequent natural disaster in Canada?
Some of us are still dealing with below 0 temperatures and snow, but Spring is just around the corner. When temperatures rise, we all need to be ready for our Okanagan thaw.
Here’s a checklist to prepare your home in case of flooding:
- Have an emergency plan in place. Know your evacuation routes.
- Know the flood risk in your community. (contact your municipality)
- Know what type of flood insurance you have with your policy!
- Do you have overland water coverage? Sewer backup coverage? This coverage is not automatic and needs to requested and added to your policy for an additional charge.
- Monitor local weather and alerts
- Protect your valuables in waterproof containers. Place them above potential water levels.
- Have an emergency bag, or at least a list of what you need if you need to evacuate at a moments notice! Ensure to include all vital documents
- Driver’s license, Birth certificates or citizenship documents, Passport(s), Marriage documents, Family vaccine records, Insurance policy numbers, Living wills, Property records, Financial records, like prior tax returns
- Video/document your home and all it’s belongings.
- Put sealant around basement windows and the base of ground-level doors.
- Remove built-up debris from window wells and by doors.
For more information to ensure your home is #FloodReady visit the Government of Canada’s website https://www.canada.ca/en/campaign/flood-ready.html