Unwanted Water In Your Home? 5 Steps To Take To Prevent Further Damage
Flooding can be the result of weather or home issues, including plumbing failures. Unwanted water in your home can be very traumatic and overwhelming.
Here are 5 steps to take when you have unwanted water in your home:
- Stop the Water -Unless the flooding is due to an act of nature, find the source of the water and turn it off. The fastest way to stop water is to turn off the main water valve.
- Turn Off the Electricity -Turn off electrical breaker
- Take pictures - Document, document, document! -Before any restoration begins ensure you document the damage and your belongings for insurance purposes.
- Call SERVPRO - SERVPRO can handle the water removal, structural drying, and any mold remediation. Time is of the essence when dealing with water! Calling in the professionals to inspect the damage and begin the drying process can save your belongings, as well as significantly reduce damage and restoration/repair costs. (Not to mention prevent mold growth)
- Call your insurance company to begin the claims process.
In addition, the Canadian Red Cross has a great article about what to do before, during and after a flood caused by weather: https://www.redcross.ca/how-we-help/emergencies-and-disasters-in-canada/types-of-emergencies/floods